SSIEM IMD Adult Course
March 13-14, 2023
This course aims at providing an introduction into the biochemical basis, pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment of Inherited Metabolic Diseases (IMDs) in adult medicine. Lectures and workshops will cover the biochemical basis, clinical manifestations and pathophysiology of the different (groups of) disorders. Diagnostic strategies and interpretation of metabolic diagnostic investigations will be explored. Treatment of both acute and chronic manifestations, the rationale for using specific drugs and/or supplements and long-term complications will be addressed. Special attention will be given to the dietary treatments.
Due to the current pandemic and travel restrictions, the course will be divided in 2 steps:
- Step 1 – January 16: participants will get access to a teaching platform with the provision of 21 short lectures (total of eight hours teaching) to cover fundamental knowledge about IMDs in adults. Access to the platform will be possible until April 30.
- Step 2 – March 13 & 14: participants will join adult metabolic specialists in 4 consecutive workshops dedicated to the main organ system involved in IMDs: liver, muscle, nervous system and multi-organs, respectively. Workshops will be structured based on the case reports submitted by the delegates.
What are the learning objectives?
* understanding the biochemical basis of inherited disorders of carbohydrates, proteins, fatty acids and intermediate metabolism, as well as complex molecules (e.g., glycosphingolipids, glycosaminoglycans)
* basic knowledge of the available metabolic laboratory tests and interpretation of their results
* basic knowledge of the pathophysiology of disease manifestations of IMDs
* knowledge on acute treatment of metabolic decompensations as well as chronic treatment (including dietary treatment) and care of adult patients with IMDs
* knowledge of the potential complications and mode of follow up for the most prevalent IMDs
* clinical-based approach to diagnose patients with IMD in adult medicine
* knowledge on information sources available for physicians treating patients with IMDs
How to apply?
Course application will open on November 1, 2022 at www.imd-adultcourse.congresspilot.com - potential delegates need to apply on the platform by submitting a one-page CV and a letter of motivation, which should describe in detail which current or future role the applicant shall play in the field. As places are limited, if the course is oversubscribed there will be a selection process and completion of the application form will not guarantee a place on the course.
|Beginning of November||application platform opens|
|January 6, 8pm||application platform closes|
|January 16||accepted delegates to be notified|
|January 17||teaching platform opens|
|January / February||participants prepare their cases to be presented|
|February 17, 8pm||deadline for submitting the cases to be presented|
|March 13/14||course days|
all indicated times are CET / UTC+1 (Berlin time)
- SSIEM members that have paid a 2023 membership fee: EUR 50,- €
- Non-SSIEM members: EUR 150,- | Non-members are encouraged to become SSIEM members - please see membership information on the SSIEM website.
Certificate of attendance will be submitted to all delegates after the course.